The ASCE Board of Direction has given its input; now it’s time for Society membership to have its say – and vote.
The Board discussed, edited and voted to approve a second reading of a series of ASCE Constitutional amendments at its quarterly meeting, Jan. 9 in Detroit.
The Constitutional changes, first proposed by the Governing Documents Committee last fall, include:
• Giving Affiliate members the right to vote in ASCE elections.
• Loosening the deadline for proposed amendments to the Society’s governing documents.
• Moving articles that do not require approval by the members to the bylaws.
• The Board of Direction’s Nominating Committee selected Maria Lehman, P.E., ENV SP, F.ASCE, and Dennis D. Truax, Ph.D., P.E., DEE, D.WRE, F.NSPE, F.ASCE, as the official nominees for 2021 ASCE president-elect. Read more.
• The Board also voted to create a new Government Engineers Council, continuing to strengthen ties with those in the public sector. Read more.
• The Board voted to approve creation of a new Student Presidential Group, composed of one ASCE Student Member from each Region and each Institute who will meet with our president-elect and provide input and perspective, particularly with respect to student transition.
• After a successful Institute-Region workshop last fall at the Board meeting in Miami, the Board voted to create an Institutes-Regions Summit, in conjunction with the July Board meeting.
Learn more about the proposed changes to ASCE’s Constitution.